We take a look at some of the best ad campaigns around with our guest blogger and partner-in-glam, Lucinda Bounsall from farfetch.com.
If like us you’re beginning to get a little tired of all the cold weather you’ll be starting to look forward to all things Summery. Christmas has come and gone, the January sales have been raided and now there is just the unexciting winter months left.
But there is one thing about this time of year that we love and that is the release of all of the beautiful new season ad campaigns to swoon over. It’s always exciting to see what direction all our favourite designers will go in for the next couple of months, which models they will chose to feature and what trends we should be thinking about following.
This year has seen some really interesting campaigns including everything from risqué toilet shots to Flintstone tributes. There have been cases of photographers refusing to shoot certain celebrities, designers making departures from their comfort zones and a rise in the use of black models after the industry was called out for a lack of diversity in casting last year.
We’ve taken a look at all of the best fashion campaigns that have been recently released and rounded up our top ten.
1. Mulberry – Fashion’s most notorious face-pulling young model has had somewhat of a girly transformation just in time for Mulberry’s SS14 campaign. The ad includes a quaint English tea party but with a twist; all of the guests are animals. There is everything from a Doberman, cockatoo, Shetland pony and even an owl. Shot by the acclaimed fashion photographer Tim Walker the collection includes sugary hues partnered with bright pops of colour and sophisticated tailoring; just what we’ve come to expect from the British handbag brand.
2. Kenzo – Over the past two years Kenzo has risen stratospherically up the fashion ranks with their iconic collection of tiger print jumpers and optical illusion style prints. This season sees Kenzo collaborate with the creative forces behind Toilet Paper Magazine on a collection that focuses on the idea of waves and… fish! The idea is to draw attention to the problem of overfishing. The ad sees model and actress Devon Aoki lying seductively on a giant tuna. We can’t wait to see if this collection will be as sought after as the last.
3. Balmain – Last year saw Rhianna’s first foray into the world of fashion with her debut collection for high street retailer River Island and it seems there is no signs of slowing down. The sultry chanteuse fronts Balmain’s new SS14 campaign in an 80s inspired photo-shoot. Balmain’s Creative Director Olivier Rousteing told WWD that Rhi-Rhi was a ‘dream casting’. What do you think of their choice?
4. Celine – This season’s see’s somewhat of a departure from the minimalist designs that we have come to expect from Celine. Tapping into the trend of all things art-inspired with one half of the campaign including paint splattered primary colours, juxtaposed next to a sultry Daria Werbowy staring sullenly at the camera. Their SS14 collection, shot by Jeurgen Teller, is the perfect mix of their signature paired back style and a more creative and colourful aesthetic.
5. Chanel – Shot by fashion stalwart Karl Lagerfeld and staring super-babe Lindsay Wixon channelling Bam Bam from the Flintstones with her red cropped locks in a high pony. The ad includes all the cute bows and sophisticated tailoring that we’ve come to expect from the Parisian power house.
6. Alexander Wang – It’s interesting to note that the first image that was released by New York designer Alexander Wang for his SS14 campaign didn’t actually feature any clothes. The image simply shows two pairs of platform clad feet peeping out of the bottom of a rather grungy bathroom stall. Speaking to WWD Wang says that the collection ‘plays on the duality of naiveté and perverse explicitness in youth culture.’ We’re not quite sure what he means but this tongue in cheek approach is nothing new from the young designer.
7. Miu Miu – Miu Miu is renowned for casting Hollywood’s rising stars in their campaigns and this season is no different. We’re big fans of the girls they’ve chosen this year including Elizabeth Olson, Bella Heathcote, Elle Fanning and the beautiful Lupita Nyong’o from Twelve Years a Slave. The shoot has a youthful and washed out colourful vibe that we’re really feeling.
8. Valentino – British model Malika Firth has quickly become one of the models of the moment featuring in campaigns for Burberry, Prada and now Valentino, Firth actually opened and closed Valentino’s SS14 show. This opulent lacy look is synonymous with Valentino’s styling and the more we see it the more we love it!
9. Saint Laurent – Saint Laurent’s SS14 campaign was shot by Hedi Slimane and features a number of super svelte models as well as a couple of new faces including the filmmaker and photographer Jeff Fribourg.
10. Givenchy – In a surprising departure from their graphic rock’n’roll aesthetic this season sees Givenchy move in a more ethnic inspired direction. The campaign stars neo-soul singer Erykah Badu, Asia Chow, Maria Borges and Dominik Bauer. Tisci is well known for using women of colour in his shows and claims to have discovered Joan Smalls.
So what is your favourite campaign of the season?